Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Dirt and Sun

I ruffle my sons hair and the smell of dirt and sun rises up and tells me that it's summer and my little boy is growing up. The baby smells have been replaced by backyard dirt and playground sand. We have left the house behind and are discovering creation again. It leaves us tired and refreshed and happy for another day. The weather is invigorating and we're soaking it up. Lots of fruits and vegtables and fresh air! It is good to be alive.
This night is cooling down and I'm ready to find my fuzzy blanket and wrap up with some paperwork. Hum drum, but I read in the sun this afternoon and now resposibility calls. Maybe a cup of cocoa or tea and than I'll slip in cool sheets and listen to the crickets and train whistles lull me to sleep.

I did not take the job I wrote about in my last blog. The vibes I got from the office were not life giving, so I am still looking. Still praying.

A rememberance: Once, when we lived in PA, I decided to look for a job (this was before McKinney). I was a homemaker at the time and getting pretty bored up on the mountain by myswlf in an empty house 11hrs a day. I was talking to an older woman about it and she looked at me(mind you this is in November) and says, "Renae, what you need is a garden." In the simple life of PA, a garden fiexed all your problems apparently. I think I must have just smiled, because she truly thought I beleived that would cure my woes. I still think back on that with a smile. I do like to garden, but it is not a substitute for socializing in my life. A garden is in my summer future though.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You have summer??????? Oh how I long to use that word here......

Mommy of Four said...

That's good that you listened to the vibes and your gut. There's nothing like taking a job that you don't like! Hopefully ypu find something that suits you. I am in the same boat right now. I KNEW where I wanted to work more than anything, but the position was filled (not by me, unfortunately), so I am still trying to figure out where to put in an application next. I love my kids, but I need to get out! And why not make a little extra money while doing so?:) You'll have to keep us informed of your search! Also, yay for gardens! We JUST bought our first home this week, and I can't WAIT to dig out a garden! We have one in our current rental, and I LOVE it (although, none I build on my own could ever be as high-tech as the one we currently have). I love gardens:):) I love growing my own food!

Jon and Renae said...

Congrats on the new house Kayla! We moved into our house this past year so this will be my first chance to really work at my own flower beds. Our yard isn't well situated for a vegatable garden, but I have one I've been working at my parents for the past two years that I'll be resurrecting again this summer.